18 July 2017
The prestigious national champions’ jerseys are on the line as the 2017 HSBC UK | National Circuit Championships head to Sheffield.
Following last Sunday’s fantastic HSBC UK City Ride, which saw thousands of cyclists of all ages and abilities take to the streets, cycling is back in Sheffield city centre on Wednesday 19 July. British cycling superstars – including three Olympic gold medallists – will battle it out to be crowned men’s and women’s champions.
Racing begins at 6.30pm on Wednesday evening with the women’s race, with the men to follow at 8pm.
Those who can’t make it in to the city centre to cheer on the elite racers can watch live through the British Cycling website.
Those hoping to get a glimpse of the UK’s top cyclists as they whizz by at top speeds, can check out the route map to decide on the perfect spectators spot.
Some roads and pedestrian areas will be closed throughout the city centre as follows:
- 12pm – 10.30pm: Tudor Square
- 5pm – 7pm: Arundel Gate lane closure (Furnival Square to Norfolk Street). One lane will remain open for buses and cars.
- 4.30pm – 10.30pm: Pinstone Street to junction of Furnival Gate
Norfolk Street, Surrey Street (from junction of Norfolk Street towards Pinstone Street) Leopold Street (access to taxis only)
- 5.45pm – 10.30pm: Pinstone Street (from Furnival Gate to Cross Burgess Street) Furnival Gate to junction of Arundel Gate, Arundel Gate (toward Norfolk Street)
Riders will race for 50 minutes, plus five laps on the 1.4km course that begins on Pinstone Street near Sheffield Town Hall. The route turns left on to Furnival Gate before another left-hander on to Arundel Gate.
The circuit then heads past Sheffield Hallam University before a sharp hairpin left after the famous Crucible Theatre. Riders will have to navigate a cobbled section over Norfolk Street and Surrey Street before a final left turn back to the finish line.
- 6.30pm: Women’s race starts
- 8pm: Men’s race starts